The US Constitution

For a general discussion of topics relating broadly to power and political economy (e.g., capital-as-power, Marxism, neo-classical economics, institutionalism).

Moderator: sanha926

The US Constitution

Postby dtcochrane » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:39 am

This is a different sort of question. I tend to avoid the issues of government. However, I'm currently thinking about how social movements formalize their gains. Although there are non-governmental mechanisms, it would seem that government action is the most enduring. To this end, I was thinking about the US constitution and the rights that it solidifies - which is certainly distinct from making permanent - and the mechanisms it institutes to make difficult their revocation. My question to you: Is the US Constitution an exceptional document? If so, why? If not, why not?

At the same time, regardless of its ethical value or validity, it gets fetishized by American politicians and non-American 'rule-and-law' commentators, beyond any reasonable appreciation. Does this fetishization, and any ills it brings - the repulsion of reasonable demands for change to accommodate social change, contribution to an evangelizing mindset seeking to 'spread the good word' - outweigh its goods?

Any thoughts or comments or insights are welcome.

-t-
dtcochrane

Return to Political Economy