Ignoble in Economics

For a general discussion of topics relating broadly to power and political economy (e.g., capital-as-power, Marxism, neo-classical economics, institutionalism).

Moderator: sanha926

Ignoble in Economics

Postby dtcochrane » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:25 pm

The has announced that it will award three to the economists deemed most responsible for the current global financial crisis. The current nominees are:

You can offer your own nominees, or evidence in support of any of these. Personally, I feel like Greenspan is a lock.
dtcochrane

Re: Ignoble in Economics

Postby joefrancis » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:34 am

This reminded me of something that happened at the LSE last year. The Queen visited to open a new building, and while there she asked an economics professor why his profession had been unable to foresee the present crisis. This prompted much sole searching among LSE economists, eventually resulting in a collective letter to the Queen in which they blamed their lack of foresight on "a failure of the collective imagination of many bright people". Notably, at least judging from , there was no mention of the colonisation of the LSE Economics Department by (failed?) mathematicians with little interest in 'applied' (i.e. real world) economics..........
joefrancis

Return to Political Economy